Monday, February 16, 2015

Living in a yurt, Living with a visionary.

My house/yurt is 600 square feet.
To start off I'm crazy about my husband.  He is the cutest guy I know and I would never have dreamed in a million years I would be living in a yurt with two kids 2 and under .
When I met him all he ever talked was crazy. I'm going to fish in Alaska someday, I would totally go to the mission field if God called me, I love the idea of being debt free- I'm never going to have a credit card, I'm going to build a stone house, I've been saving my first kiss for my wife on our wedding day...ect.
Talk was wonderful exciting but when he did end up going fishing for months and I cried myself to sleep every night and when progress on the stone house came to a stop and plans changed over and over. Courtship was long and we had to use self control.

Then one day I thought "Who did I marry and what did I get myself into?" This is harder than I thought.
Working on the yurt was a lot of fun. Having a baby and working on it took some organization of schedules and help from the inlaws.
Living in an unfinished yurt with 2 babies can be discouraging and difficult.
Others have done it and through their success in hardship I find strength.  From their faith I can see my husband's vision.
But at times I wanted to leave.
I wanted hot water for my babies bath in at our house, heck, I wanted a hot shower in my own house(we showered 2/10 of a mile up the road at my inlaws every day...sometimes skipping days if it was a rough one.) This was not me...this was not what I had invisioned.
Where was the 19 year old girl who would live in a tent to be with this crazy man? No washer or dryer either with a baby that spit up more food than he ate and I marveled at his healthy weight. Tar paper walls depressed me and I would often go into a hole of self pity and would have drown there had it not been for my faith in God that He would take care of me, my ever supportive inlaws and friends. I wanted someone to chew my husband out. "How could you make your wife and kids live in that house!" But no one did.
We learned to cling to eachother. I had to find peace and contentment in whatever state I am.
We both might have thought at times it would be better if I lived with my family for awhile- until things got finished.
But I knew where I was supposed to be and it was by his side through good times and bad, sickness or health, poverty and as in wealth, I was staying.
It's been a time of testing, growing and character building.
I have met the challenge of keeping a cheerful house with all the courage I can muster.
The yurt is still not complete, but better.
I still struggle, but we will stay together.

The tar paper slowly gets covered up!

The ramp that was so slick in the winter is now replaced by steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment